fredag 30 mars 2012

Tackles - no thanks!?

I felt great yesterday! Our Sävja session included both rucking and mauling - how I’ve been waiting for this! Managed to work myself up to proper rugby rage and eventually started bellowing instructions right, left and centre so as to get things happening (preferably my way).
-
I wasn’t always this fond of contact training. In fact, I remember vividly my first ever tackle experience and how big a brain freeze I got just then. It was early spring 2007 and I’d been on the team for a few months during winter season, practicing ball handling and playing touch. I’d FINALLY realised what Bettan wanted when she was screaming DEEP, go DEEP for heaven’s sake! (and was pretty pleased with that too). In the middle of our touch session, coach Richard suddenly shouted OK, full contact now everyone!

-
WHAT!?
-
The killer faces on these people when they were suddenly allowed to take eachother down! God, that scared the shit out of me… For the next ten minutes I was skulking around in the background, pretending to be planning my next move but really just desperately hoping that no one would come up with the stupid idea to pass the ball to me. It wasn’t even tackling someone else that was my biggest fear – it was being tackled. After training I cried because I was so disappointed with myself. Why did I suddenly become such a bloody delicate flower when, a year earlier, I was perfectly happy to have people kick me in the face down at the dojo? (Well, at least happy to have them try…)
-
My point is, even if you think you don’t have it in you to start with, even if you’re scared of hurting someone else or just reluctant to let five teammates pile up on top of you, you can start to love it. Just like I did.

---

(By the way - I haven't seen the men's team do tackle training since...ever. Are ya' scared? No wonder that opponents slip through the defense!)

Inga kommentarer: